What we do
Better breast cancer screening should be a universal offering to every woman in the world. Vara’s AI-powered software platform, created with screening radiologists in Germany, mitigates much of the human subjectivity associated with reading mammography results—and reduces the repetitive work screening physicians are routinely subjected to—we’re making breast cancer screening more effective, more measurable, and more accessible for everyone, everywhere. By democratising access to early screening around the world, we deliver measurable impact backed by clinical evidence. We are partnering globally, to deliver breast cancer screening where it is needed most.
As the first company from Europe’s leading AI venture studio Merantix, Vara has grown since 2018 to become a 30-member international team. Our diverse team consists of highly motivated and ambitious entrepreneurs, healthcare professionals, and technology experts.
Further information can be found on our website: www.vara.ai
As the Finance Team Lead, you will report directly to the Managing Directors. You set the agenda for your team independently, meaning that you run your function entirely without day-to-day management from the founders.Finance and Operations:
The following tasks fall within your area of responsibility:
- Establish financial planning processes across budget owners (budget, approval, reporting).
- Prepare the company for international launches by developing revenue and finance operations across markets (tax structure, invoicing, currency risk,...).
- Own and improve the company’s core finance and accounting processes and systems.
Investor relations & Governance:
- Build a team, manage their priorities and their growth, set OKRs, give feedback, and manage their personal development.
- Report directly to the founders, set the agenda for your team independently, i.e. drive your function entirely without day-to-day management from the founders.
- Lead investor relations, incl. reporting, board approvals, and board meeting preparations.
- Fundraising support (financial and legal due diligence, financial modeling,...).
- Determine the need to open local affiliates or joint ventures in new markets.
- Understand and execute local legal market requirements along with our regulatory team and local law firms.
- Own and improve our legal affairs and manage our law firms, e.g. intellectual property, data protection, and special labor law situations.
- Develop long-term financial plans (business plan, budget, cash flow analysis).
- Establish advanced financial reporting dashboards (cohort analysis, growth KPIs, profitability analysis,...).
- Source and lead public funding activities.
- Partner with the founders to determine funding needs and strategy and explore financing deals with mammography scanner manufacturers with growth leadership (e.g. leasing or asset-backed financing facilities) to support our growth.
- Partner with founders and growth leadership to explore, plan and execute inorganic growth opportunities (M&A).
We are an equal-opportunity employer and value diversity. We consider all applications equally regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or gender identity. We strongly encourage individuals from groups traditionally underrepresented in tech to apply, and we can help with immigration.